Wood Cat Review is a literary journal featuring new and emerging writers and poets whose work captures the spirit and experience of the natural world. The journal features original work about the outdoors, the rural experience, and environmental issues from artists who offer clear views from the wild.
We are looking for artists and writers whose lives and passions begin in the mountains, forests, or along the open road. From Cascadia to Acadia, Voyageurs to Big Bend, the moorlands, the highlands, the never-never, and all the life in between, yours are voices which speak to travel and adventure, triumph and disaster, challenge and hope, love and loss. Tell us about your relationship with the natural world. Good, bad, or conflicted, we want to hear your voice.
***We are not accepting submissions for our print journal at this time. Feel free to submit your work for online publication.***
***We will be accepting submissions for our Spring 2023 issue later this year. Announced via Instagram and our Mailing List.***
● We accept submissions of flash fiction, short fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and artwork.
● We accept English language submissions from anywhere in the wild world.
● All submissions must be original, unpublished works.
● We accept multiple submissions from the same author.
● We accept simultaneous submissions, but notify us if your work is selected for publication elsewhere.
● Fiction (Flash, Short): 500 – 6,500 words
● Nonfiction (Essay, Reportage, Memoir): 1,000 – 6,500 words
● Poetry: Up to three pages.
● We accept submissions via Submittable at various times. (Link Below)
● Submission windows are announced via Instagram and our mailing list.
● Contest entries are restricted to the posted entry periods.
Author & Publishing Rights:
● Wood Cat Review retains first rights of publication online and in print. After publication, rights revert back to the author.
● If your work is subsequently republished elsewhere, we ask that you credit Wood Cat Review as the original publisher.
● We will not submit your work for publication elsewhere without your consent.
Cost of Submission:
● There is no charge for open submissions.
● There is a charge for contest entries. Costs for entry are listed on individual contest announcements.
● The current payment is $20 for first page and $10 for each subsequent page.
● Poetry and Prose pay up to $50 max.
● Internal page artwork pays $25 flat rate. Cover Artwork pays $50 flat rate.
● All contributors also receive two copies of the print journal in which their work is published.
● At this time, payments are made for print journal publication only.
Formatting Guidelines (Prose):
● Times New Roman, 12pt Font
● Double Spaced
● Numbered Pages with 1" Margins
We look forward to reading your work.